This course will give you the vocabulary and skills (linguistic and 21st century) you need to improve your overall English in an increasingly online landscape. Upon completion of this course, learners will demonstrate their ability to:
- Participate in independent and collaborative tasks with peers in immersive scenarios.
- Form and express opinions, and evaluate the opinions of others.
- Deliver short presentations or talks — on personal opinions, stories, and ideas on various topics — to an audience.
- Demonstrate comprehension of vocabulary and grammar to express descriptions, opinions, experiences, preferences, goals, and plans.
- Write and revise texts for formal and informal situations that reflect authentic ways people communicate.
- Utilize a variety of digital learning tools to enhance, demonstrate, and share learning.
- Critically analyze questions when engaging in conversations with others.
Modern English for Beginners in VR
GXRA brings you this beginning (A1.1) level multimodal (asynchronous, synchronous, and VR) course is designed to develop foundational vocabulary and grammar knowledge for a variety of purposes and contexts in order to support and strengthen listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. This course also emphasizes development of experience and confidence in 21st century skills with emphasis on the 4 C’s: critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication. Learners will develop skills along Pearson’s Global Scale of English (GSE), aligned to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Learners can look forward to ongoing opportunities to use English in an immersive VR environment.
- 2-week asynchronous pre-class orientation (independent)
- Asynchronous mini-lessons (independent, ongoing)
- Synchronous instructor-led online lessons (whole class, ongoing)
- VR learning activities and tasks (whole class & independent, ongoing)
- Asynchronous remediation opportunities (independent, ongoing)
- 12 weeks total (72 hours)
- 3 instructor-led hours per week
- 3 asynchronous hours of learning per week (including independent VR tasks)